In 1946, Garnett Arnold and Wood Reese built a small dock on the Obey River area of Dale Hollow Lake. The dock was known as “Arnold’s”, and was located near to where Sunset’s floating Marina and Restaurant is now. Mr. And Mrs. Lloyd Harrison purchased Arnold’s Dock in 1949. The Harrison’s, originally from Tennessee, were living in Detroit, Michigan, where Lloyd was an executive in the automotive industry. While traveling through the Northwoods of Canada, Lloyd visited a resort called “Sunset”. He enjoyed his stay there so much that he decided to name his establishment “Sunset Dock”.
Although Mr. Harrison passed away in 1987, his wife Mildred continued to operate Sunset Dock until November 1993, when she decided to sell to Mr. Tony Sloan of Albany, Kentucky. Mr. Tom Allen came aboard as General Manager, and Sunset Dock became Sunset Marina and Resort. Under new ownership, this area has been developed into the premiere vacation spot on Dale Hollow Lake. The rustic cabins are still one of Sunset’s greatest attractions, alongwith the cottages overlooking the cove and the old dock. Sunset’s Marina and floating Restaurant were completed in June 1994, and was in operation for just over two years when it was destroyed by fire on November 13, 1996. Construction on the present-day Marina and floating Restaurant began immediately, and it was fully operational by July 1997. The new ObeyRiver Bridge was completed and in use by September of 1996, and the old Obey River Bridge was removed in February of 1997. The facilities offered by Sunset Marina and Resort make this area of Dale Hollow Lake an unparalleled location for family vacations, romantic getaways, family reunions, and group gatherings.